We hope everyone has had an enjoyable Christmas! Whether or not you celebrate, it’s a festive time of year where optimal nutrition may not have been your first thought…and there is nothing wrong with that!
Indulgence is commonplace during the Christmas holidays and getting yourself back to a healthy, consistent approach to nutrition can sometimes be a challenge. Remember to take small, manageable steps to begin nourishing yourself for the start of the new year.
Rather than responding to the Christmas indulgence with over-restriction to compensate, why not start today with turning your Christmas leftovers into healthy, nourishing meals – like this turkey-kale salad or these moreish potato-courgette fritters.
Not only will you start the new year with some new, nutritious recipe inspirations, but you’ll be using up what’s in the refrigerator and reducing your waste. It’s a win-win!
Turkey & the Trimmings Salad
- 4 cups chopped Christmas dinner leftovers – turkey, beef, lamb or nut-roast/tofu, plus roasted vegetables (sprouts, carrots, green beans, potatoes etc)
- 200g kale, shredded, raw
- 2 TB dried cranberries
- 2 TB roasted cashews/almonds/hazelnuts or toasted sunflower/pumpkin seeds
- 2 TB fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ TB fresh lemon juice
- 2 TB honey or agave syrup
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the Christmas leftovers and dried cranberries in a pan with a small amount of olive oil and fry gently over a medium heat, stirring regularly until it has warmed through.
- Place the washed, shredded kale in a bowl and add the warm leftovers on top, mixing them together. Top with pomegranate seeds and toasted nuts or seeds.
- Make the dressing by pouring all the ingredients into a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until they have all combined and spoon over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Fabulous Christmas Fritters
- 1 courgette, grated (skin on)
- 3 cups mashed potato
- 2 cups chopped cooked vegetables (carrots, sprouts, parsnips etc)
- 4 TB plain flour
- ½ cup cheese (reduced-fat cheddar or other hard cheese)
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- low-fat creme fraiche or plain low-fat Greek yogurt and spring onions
- Grate the courgette and squeeze in a clean dish cloth or several kitchen towels to remove as much water as possible.
- Place the grated courgette in a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well until everything has combined. Add salt/pepper to season as needed.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add a large spoonful of the mixture to the pan. Flatten into a circular shape about 1cm thick. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. You will need to fry the fritters in batches, depending on how big your frying pan is.
- Serve warm with a dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt and some chopped spring onions.